Polyvinyl Chloride or PVC is one of the most versatile of pipe materials. It is produced by the polymerisation of vinyl chloride which is made from coal (or oil) and common salt. In fact, salt makes up over 50% of the polymer, making PVC one of the most environmentally friendly plastic materials, being least dependent on increasingly scarce hydrocarbon resources.
The unique properties of PVC can be enhanced by the addition of special additives, for example, to create strong yet tough pipe materials (such as modified PVC, PVC-M), foamed or multilayer sewer and drainage pipes, and weather resistant, above ground drainage pipes.
WTPI supply a full range of PVC pressure pipe and it’s fittings as well as unplastified dark grey PVC pipe.
- Excellent flow characteristics: reduces friction losses.
- Best long-term strength/cost ratio of all pipe materials: economical and cost effective and lowers the capital cost of projects for the provision of potable water and sanitation.
- Service performance in excess of 100 years.
- Unique combination of mechanical properties: long-term strength, toughness and stiffness, making it ideal for pressure and sewer and drainage pipes.
- Larger bore and high flow capacity: lowers pumping costs and overall energy requirements.
- Durability and toughness: resistant to handling, transport and installation damage.
- Resistant to acids and alkalis: no problems when installed in acidic soils and resistant to the acidic chemicals in sewerage and in mining.
- Resistant to abrasion and scouring and modern cleaning methods: ideal for use as sewer and drainage pipes.
- Light mass: lower transport costs and easy handling and installation, ideally suited for labour intensive projects. About 20% the mass of an equivalent steel pipe.
- Elastomeric locked-in sealing ring system: resistant to most chemicals, long-term sealing performance and easy, low cost installation with unskilled labour.
- Inflammable: suitable for use in underground mining with specially filled hydraulic joints.
- PVC Pressure pipes are specified with confidence in the following applications:
- Water mains and reticulation systems
- Industrial applications
- Sewer effluent control and water purification
- Enhanced hydraulic characteristics
- Drinking water for public, private or industrial networks
- Sewage systems
- Sewage water mains
- Piping for conveyance of liquid foodstuffs and industrial liquids
- Underground irrigation systems
- Solvent welds
- Solvent cement sockets
- Push-fit rubber ring (type AS or ZOE)
Click here to download the PVC Pressure and PVC Pressure1 spec sheets
Click here to download the Supratuff, Supramyn and Ultratuff spec sheet